Saturday, October 9, 2010

Ditto Dana!


On Friday morning, October 1, 2010, I awoke with a "nudge" in my thoughts to contact one of my dear Christian friends. We first met in the fall of 2005 while I was living in the Atlanta area. She was a real estate agent and broker who worked for one of my cousin's Atlanta real estate agency.

At the time, I was in the midst of helping a family completely refurbish a house they wanted to sell. Since I had the experience from remodeling my grandparents' home place, I had developed a passion for an exciting interior renovation projects. So I coordinated all the details of this huge assignment overseeing the work. Once the house was ready to place on the market, I called my cousin Mike. He sent over two agents that were a tandem team. Dana and Leslie arrived.


Dana and I immediately bonded with kindred spirits since we both have outgoing personalities. At the time, she was making plans to be married in two weeks. The other highlight in her life was D.J., her 13 year old son from a previous marriage. Dana was bubbly, genuine, and quick witted, delightful, energetic, smart, and extremely personable. She was the ideal real estate agent, with the unique gift to relate to any one, any where at any time.

Shortly after we met, Dana and I shared our mutual passionate about God as we were seeking more about Him. She had recently become a Christian while I was renewing my walk with Christ. Our closeness transpired greater as we shared personal difficulties and triumphs seeking a closer relationship with the Father.

In the meantime, the housing market was flat. Nothing much was selling. But out of the blue, prayers were answered and the house sold in eight weeks! In that short time frame, we had become good friends, talking almost daily on the phone as she coordinated house tours.

We became closer friends as we remained in contact, following each other's paths through emails and texting. She was one of my heart friends... a truth seeking sister in Christ... someone I could share whatever was on my mind and in my heart knowing she accepted me with unconditional love, no matter the issue.


God had provided the rare gift of a true friend. Knowing we could relate to one another yet from very different backgrounds didn't seem to matter as Christians. The only precursor for being in a Christian friendship is that you both love Jesus Christ as He is in your heart with each breath.


Our friendship evolved into prayer partners. We shared the most intimate details of our lives. We were supportive of one another as we both had different vices to deal with and break away from with no reservations in becoming more Christ-like. She's the one who taught me the phrase...."There's a devil at every level." There wasn't anything we could not or did not share with each other, yet I never laid eyes on her again since the spring in 2006.


On July 23, 2009, it was Dana's son's 17th birthday. It was also the day she learned she had cancer throughout in her reproductive system and two lymphnodes.

Although we had been in sporadic communication with one another. The only distance we shared were earthly miles. January 5, 2010 was the last communication from me to Dana since my focus shifted solely on Mother's health issues. I had posted it on Caring Bridge. However, I was never notified of any updates all the while thinking she was improving as we prayed for God to heal her ailing body.

When Dana was placed heavily on my heart Friday morning, October 1, 2010, the sensing grew stronger as the day prolonged. By Saturday late afternoon, I had a deepened desire to get in touch with her. The sensing had increased incredibly strong!

I emailed her, but it wasn't the right path it seemed. Not knowing if her cell number had been saved from the data information transferred from my "puppy chewed" Blackberry to my new replacement, I quickly grabbed my cell. Sure enough, there was Dana's number. Instead of calling, I decided to text. "Hey, I have you heavy on my heart," I quickly typed.

Right after sending that text, I sat at my desk in silence awaiting her reply. I remember glancing at a crystal cross placed on a small shelf above my workspace. From where I was siting, it was aligned right in front of a framed print with the name "Jesus" simply and eloquently inscripted. As I continued to sit there, a stillness feel upon me. There was a sweet quietness in my midst. I knew at that moment Dana had passed on to be with Jesus. I could see a vision of her standing adorned in a whiter than white robe, radiantly glowing as a brilliant aura framed her face with a huge smile. I could see Dana's perfectly white teeth, as she looked healthy and heavenly. Dana had one tiny dark filling on a front tooth she had mentioned about getting fixed on of these days. Now it was fixed permanently. The odd part of remembering the vision is that one tiny spot on her front tooth had not crossed my thoughts in years. She looked perfect, happiness completely succumbed within her soul as her spirit filled encounter with our Father was ever more present.

When my cell rang, it was Dana's cell number! I thought, "Oh I was really mistaken! Whoa!" But the voice was not Dana's. It was her sister, Meredith. She said, "I'm so sorry to inform you that Dana passed away last night. (Friday, October 1, 2010 at 7:40 est). I had to ask her to repeat what she said because I knew it to be true but my spiritual knowing seemed to be way ahead of my brain or my heart accepting.

Several hours passed before I was able to adapt from a mixture of emotions. I cried as if I had lost a close family member, a strong prayer warrior on this earth. In my spirit somehow, I was assured by the Father that Dana was with Him. There was no doubt... but the magnificent reality of how I was contacted or "nudged" left an indelible mark on my spiritual growth chart.

It's difficult to express how deeply this affected me through sadness and gladness combined simutaneously. I immediately began grieving upon hearing the news and found myself tearing at odd moments the following day as an incredible sense of peace seemed to be a constant reminder "Dana is home."

Was it Dana's heart desire that her heart friends be touched by the Lord to know? After all she was at her parents' home in Florida versus her Atlanta, Georgia, home where she resided with her family. How else would I have known if not by God allowing the spiritual nudging in my heart? It was an awesome experience within the hours she was leaving this earth, I was reminded of her deeply.

It had been months, yet our spiritual connection endured because our friendship was based on Jesus Christ. Admittedly, I did beat myself up for not having been in touch since January. But I was soon reminded God had placed a mission on placed on my heart to help Mother. Then I realized one important aspect of this spiritual lesson was that time didn't matter. Dana and I connected and stayed in each other's hearts. We were spiritual sisters. Quite often the way God does when we drift away from Him. Yet we are still connected.

I was humbled by the Father's touch in my life in a multitude of ways, especially how He allowed me to know about Dana's crossing to the other side. I didn't have to wonder where Dana was any longer or what state of health she was in. She was healed from our prayers, in heaven.

It's important to follow the "nudges" we receive from God as He works through us.

Please pray for those souls who don't have a clue how Majestic the Father's power is within each of us when we submit ourselves to Him... not halfway but completely. It's not our way part of the time then His way some of the time. It's HIS way ALL of the time. I struggle with this every day but every day it does get easier!

"The fear of the Lord leads to life; Then one rests content, untouched by trouble." Proverbs 19:23 [NIV]

When difficulties come, and they will... remember to turn to Him for all things. That is what Dana did. That is what I try to do. My Mother is a living example of how powerful and miraculous our God is when we chose to place Him first in our lives.

"Ditto Dana"
She was bashful when it came to expressing "I love you" in our conversations. On rare occasions, I would type it in my emails. Once I just blurted it out on the cell after a great prayer time! She replied "Ditto." I didn't have to hear "I love you, too." I knew she did. Just as I know the Father loves me. Just as I know the Father loves you. Ditto, Dana, Ditto!

+ + +