Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Turning the Corner

During our country's difficult economic times, so many Americans are struggling, suffering, needing and hoping. Many appear to have placed their hope in Jesus Christ. Others may feel a lost sense of hopelessness, despair, desolation to failure in our country's setback financially and moralistically. Large ideals can come tumbling down quickly, frightening the strongest believers when their world seems to have stopped turning and begun to evolve in an unfamiliar spin zone.

Existing may seem to be futile as the adversary would have anyone believe... "GIVE UP" "STEAL" "LIE" "CHEAT" "LOOK OUT FOR NUMBER 1!"

Jesus commands us to "You shall love your neighbor as yourself" [Matthew 23:39] In other words "Give to others who are hungry, need clothing, visit the sick, the incarcerated..."

In this day and time, how can anyone know if you're helping those who are trying to help themselves? The Scriptures tells us "God helps those who help themselves."

With so much need in our country literally on every corner, how can anyone be sure if giving cash to those holding out plastic cups or bare hands... How does anyone know it's not a scam?

My answer came when I prayed with discernment of such times. The consequences of the person "in need" or the people "in greed" is ultimately between the Father and His child whether they are a lamb or a scam. Every human being is a child of God. He certainly knows their heart and their intentions... genuine grace or wanton waste.

A few days ago, I experienced an opportunity to give to couple who looked a lot like me if I were standing in their shoes. They had on clean clothes, well groomed and were extremely humble. Most people asking for money that I've previously helped appear to have been exposed to more extreme times with rough exterior and shabby clothing. I'm not judging, just sayin... hard times are like a virus... they can hit anyone, anywhere at anytime!

As this couple stood side by side graciously receiving donations as their grateful expression was just shy of a smile. They were standing on a corner of a Wal-mart parking exit... and I began to think "That could be me!"

How blessed I am! How blessed they were that day as many others stopped to help, to give from their hearts. What the young couple didn't realize, was the blessing they gave in return something far beyond cents... but a sense in knowing God presented an opportunity to show love to my neighbor.

To my dismay, several cars passed by without looking towards the needy pair, not even a dollar to spare. Maybe they didn't have it to give. Maybe they did. Without hesitation, Mother and I gave a donation freely. Then we turned to the right, turning the corner to exit onto a fast paced highway.

I couldn't help but compare how many of us leave a spiritual parking until it's our turning point to move past the spiritual gate keeper's post. Will you or won't you help another today... show "love thy neighbor" when they are in need, give money for their power bill, food, existence? I don't see every opportunity that comes my way, but I'm grateful to God for blatant reminders!

Have you ever been the one humbled enough for the public to see the "Jesus" in you standing on a corner?

Have you ever been someone turning the corner and passed a chance to show "Love thy neighbor?"

Times are hard. Start a new direct path for a direct response, directly from your heart. Look into the eyes of the ones you are led to give hope and change... the change in your pockets. Share Jesus with them.

On that day, the young man said "Thank you! I was saved last week. God is showing me how we will make it." He stated from his directly, "Jesus Christ is in my heart!" He expressed his sincere gratitude humbly and profoundly. Yet, I didn't need assurance he was a Christian. He gave me the sense in knowing he was sincere.

Jesus said "You shall love your neighbor (ANYONE-Christian or Non-Believer) as yourself." Yahweh didn't stutter. Jehovah didn't mention the Scripture with "You MIGHT love... No. It was the second commandment given by Jesus Christ, the Comforter of all burdens, in the New Testament!

If you had been standing on that corner, looking at yourself... what would you have given yourself?

In turning life's corner, are you passing up chances or passing on blessings?

It's your turn.