Thursday, July 2, 2009

Best Said

As far back as I can remember I’ve always had a “best friend” throughout my life for a season or a reason.

My first one was my Cocker Spaniel named Sandy. My mother named him for his blond buff color. As a four year old child, that was the beginning of my love for animals, especially dogs!

Sandy was loyal, happy to see me no matter what was going on in his world as he always had a sparkle in his eyes with his little short tail wagging with such excitement. He loved to be petted and he followed me wherever I went in our neighborhood.

Sandy was the best listener. If I didn’t see him, I called his name and he came running no matter how far apart we were in the yard. Usually, he was closer than I thought! I would hug and hold to Sandy when I was happy, sad or lonely. He never tired of our time together and neither did I. How special my first dog was for me as I was an only child at the time, illustrating unconditional love. How strange that dog spelled backwards is God.

Except for the little nubby tail wagging, that descriptive relationship pretty much depicts my friendship with Jesus Christ.

“Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, ‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.’” Hebrews 13:5 (NIV)

I know Jesus must smile when I call out to Him because He’s always glad to hear from me. He never tires of my prayers and the time I spend with Him. He is the best listener I have ever known as I sense Him comforting me in times of distress or blessings every day which brings cheerfulness to my heart. And if He were to stand right in front of me as a human, I would hug him tightly and remind Him… He is my best friend and I love Him. And as Hebrews 13:5 reminds us, true friendship is free!

True friends don’t have to spend a penny on each another. If you have to buy your way into someone’s life… think again.

If you feel you are trying to buy another’s love so they will spend time with you… think again.

Real friendship is about the value of the friendship not the amount of money, but rather the amount of time. Time is a gift, paid in full by Jesus. Enjoy your time. Enjoy your real friends. Through God’s extravagant love and grace, salvation is free because Jesus died to pay our debt to sin.

“This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe…” Romans 3:22 (NIV)

There is no ticket for sale to enter into heaven. A person must accept Jesus Christ through faith. If you haven’t, ask Jesus to come into your heart, your mind, your actions, your words, your family, your ways and your will of doing... then you can be a true representative of Christ, a true friend of Jesus, a true person of faith or true to yourself!

We all make mistakes. My Father in Heaven knows that often I feel as if my share of mistakes is beyond His quota! But that is the beauty of God's forgiveness; there is no quota!

Jesus took on all of our debts, transgressions and burdens. By asking forgiveness from Him; from others or as you give forgiveness to others… our quota is wiped cleaned. All is forgiven! When trusting in Jesus then we can become better in our lives for ourselves, and better as friends to others. As it is written…

"The king summoned the man and said, 'You evil servant! I forgave your entire debt when you begged me for mercy. Shouldn't you be compelled to be merciful to your fellow servant who asked for mercy?' The king was furious and put the screws to the man until he paid back his entire debt. And that's exactly what my Father in heaven is going to do to each one of you who doesn't forgive unconditionally anyone who asks for mercy." Matthew 18:32 (MSG)

By allowing your heart to be free of sin, your gift of love is freely given. There is no greater love than what I have for Jesus. He is the love of my life. He is the friend I have looked for many times when I turned to others instead of turning to prayer.

His incredible unconditional love which transcends time, hurt, joy or sadness, happens when I least expect it as I cross paths with dear friends. Those friends are angels without wings when we need to be reminded “You are loved.”

I am grateful to God for being able to experience friendships of unconditional love through my friends that love Him as I do.

When I stepped out on faith, I learned who my true friends were in Christ as they continue to stand by my side while Jesus stands for all of us as the One who showed us what real love is… when you lay your life down for another.


Trust doesn't come easy, but when I resigned from my corporate job, I trusted God to guide my steps as I knew He would protect me, provide for me and never leave my side. He did after all, lay down His life for every one!

"Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.” John 15:13 (NASB)

As I share my perspectives as I learn in reading Scriptures... “that one lay down his life for his friends” could be interpreted as stopping your life long enough for another by giving your time, yourself, your heart to those who need your full attention as a Christ-like companion.

There is no greater love than His love as I experience the best love possible from Him through my friends. I’m blessed by having a family of friends and friends who are in my immediate family. My relatives, who are my friends, have been the best friends I have ever had in my life. That’s a rare and wonderful gift. All friendships are a gift!

Jesus sets the example as He is always near to be your friend in the best of times and the worst of times... all the time!

Best said… I choose Him as He lives through those who choose Him. That's when the "best" is revealed in each of us as we become good and faithful friends.



+ + +