Sunday, July 5, 2009

God First

"Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: 'I am the first and I am the last, And there is no God besides Me.” Isaiah 44:6 (NASB)

I share these Scriptures with you as I do with myself as a reminder of who God is, and should be in every life. First. God should be first. God should always be first.

Any less than placing God first in your life each day as a Christian simply means God is not the center of your life. That places self in the center of your life with God shoved to the side.

“But I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God; I trust in God's unfailing love forever and ever.” Psalm 52:8 (NIV)

If your soul and spirit represent a fruit tree, how deep are your roots into the most nurturing soil known to man… God’s Holy Word, the Bible?

How can your fruit tree grow in a corner if you allow other non-producing items or issues to stand where the tree of life should be getting complete nourishment with water and the Son’s light?

Is there any fruit to bear on your tree?

If so, is the fruit partially mature?

Personally, my fruit tree needed a lot of nurturing. I had a lot of dead limbs that needed pruning, and my fruit was not fully mature. I didn’t soak up the Son’s light, nor did I have my roots in the right soil, God’s Word. I was watered down and water logged with my own direction and way of thinking.

“Give thanks to the God of gods. His love endures forever.” Psalm 136:2 (NIV)

God is first in my life. Not just for a season or a reason. God is first in my life for the rest of my life! He loves me… you… everyone… unconditionally!

There is no reason to question my devotion or loyalty. I'm not crazy. For some who will read "Preprayer Yourself" and have known me from high school, college, and/or in my professional career before I stepped out on faith, you may be wondering if I have lost my mind. No. I finally found my mind…set. And it is for God… ALL about God… God FIRST!

“Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.” Colossians 3:12 (NIV)

I had a great deal to learn. Patience was at the top of my list. And not just for a few hours but to be patient all the time. I did not realize how impatient I was until the love of God won over the rage of my deep seeded anger which stemmed from my childhood. (BEFORE my little brother was born whom I love very much.) That is a L-O-N-G time to carry around stinky baggage I didn’t realize was so heavy, much less having it hang all over me spiritually! God's angels probably held their noses while keeping me safe!

When I learned more about compassion, I became gentler learning to illustrate kindness and thoughtfulness. God taught me through the geriatrics He placed in my life that didn't have any family and would have annoyed the family if they had. When one in particular passed away last fall, I could see where she had been good for me, and through God, I had been good for her. God taught us both great lessons through one another. Since God is a Spirit, that is how God works... through others and through you as you allow Him. Being mean-spirited is NOT of God.


In striving to reach humility... well I'm ashamed to admit it was buried way down deep inside. Through God’s love and discipline, I finally learned what it was like to be humble in spirit to God.

He is the reason I am alive instead of just walking through life wasting time as if I have years to live. We're not promised tomorrow. We live as if we are, but we only have this moment as we breath. Yes, agendas are important, but my point is... why waste time when you get make a difference in you!

I try to enjoy each day with the sorrowful and happy times just like most anyone else. But I do so because I pray away my burdens. (Matthew 11:28-30)


God always comes through as He provides for me in ways I would never have imagined. God is faithful. God is love. God is merciful.

“Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.” Jude 1:21 (NIV)

In my life before 2007, God was not first. God was not second. God was not third. God was. That’s it. God was. I deprived my own life from knowing God in the fullest.

I knew there was more to learn about God’s Word, but who else can I blame about NOT knowing the Holy Spirit all those years?

Should I have blamed my minister?

Should I have blamed my parents?

Should I have blamed other Christians?

Who should I have blamed?

Let me present these questions in another way.

Who am I (and you) going to answer to on Judgment Day?

Will it be my (your) minister, my (your) parents, other Christians?

No.... Christa will be answering!

Perhaps there could have been more taught in our church at the time so I was more aware. But I am an adult. I make my choices. God did not have my attention because I did not give God my attention.


When I was a young child, turning into a teenager, I knew I was called by God to serve Him in His ministry. But I was afraid. I went in other directions. Plus it was not cool to be so “goody two shoes,” even though I was never a "party" person, or a trouble maker. I did have vices I have had to give to God. My life is all the better for coming clean. But it is by His grace I was able to be cleansed.

Good deeds will not get any one into heaven. You can be good all day long and all night long, but it is professing Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior by faith that gets a soul into heaven!

I pray you will place God first if you aren't already focused on God. He is a Spirit and HE is all around you. He sees what you do, He hears what you say, He feels what you feel… every second you are alive on this earth. When I learned that fact, I was ashamed of my behavior. I was ashamed that I had not walked Christ-like, even though I would say I had been a good person. But I could have been better. Now I work towards being better as I place God first.

“He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.” Colossians 1:15 (NASB)

What to know more about God? READ. I should have years ago.

Got questions? Ask God. I did. Guess what? He answers!

Prayer is free, better on bended knees.


God First!