Monday, June 29, 2009

Flip Flop Friends

Solomon was given the gift of wisdom as God so blessed Him in writing most of the Book of Proverbs. It is one of several Books in the Bible I never tire of reading and referring to its scriptures. In reading Proverbs, I gain a tremendous amount of wonderful instruction.

The last chapter and verse is Chapter 31:31. In my Life Application Study Bible (NIV), the study notes state:

"The Book of Proverbs begins with the command to fear the Lord (1:7) and ends with the picture of a woman who fulfills this command. Her qualities are mentioned throughout the book: hard work, fear of God, respect for spouse, foresight, encouragement, care of others, concern for the poor, and wisdom in handling money.
These qualities, when couple with fear of God, lead to enjoyment, success, honor, and worth. Proverbs is very practical for our day because it shows us how to become wise, make good decisions, and live according to God's ideal."*

Amazing how God blesses those who seek Him with a pure heart for learning wisdom, to be taught how to do what is right, just, and fair, in becoming a better member of the Body of Christ, a better member of your immediate family, and a better friend to all... especially to God.

Proverbs 17:17 was recently brought to my attention. Maybe because every time I have read this verse in the past, I would get mixed signals because of one word... "adversity."

Let's explore different translations.

Proverbs 17:17 states:

"A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity." (KJV)

"A friend loves at all times, And a brother is born for adversity." (NASB)

"A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity." (NIV)

"A friend loves at all times, and is born, as is a brother, for adversity." (AMB)

"A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need." (NLT)

"Friends love through all kinds of weather, and families stick together in all kinds of trouble." (MSG)

After reading different translations from six different Biblical sources, I finally comprehended "adversity" as help from your family in this verse.

Previously, when I read the word "adversity"... it projected trouble and hardships in my thoughts. But I learned a valuable lesson in taking the time to research a familiar verse I love to refer to.

In the last few posts, I have been sharing the way God is teaching me study one verse and absorb what is being said to me in various ways. Sometimes I don't see more than what the words state. Then I have "wow" moments when I become in awe of God in everything but particularly the Bible!

Proverbs 17:17 teaches me a great deal of wisdom as to what kind of friends I should seek, based on their fruits of the spirit. It reminds me what kind I friend I should be, based on my fruits of the spirit. (See Galatians 5:22-25 below.)

In my Study Bible, the descriptive notes at the bottom of the page for Proverbs 17:17 explains this Scripture far better than I could express:

"What kind of friend are you? There is a vast difference between knowing someone well and being a true friend. The greatest evidence of genuine friendship is loyalty (loving at all times) -- being available to help in times of distress or personal struggles.
Too many people are fair-weather friends. They stick around when the friendship helps them and leave when they're not getting anything out of the relationship. Think of your friends and assess your loyalty to them. Be the kind of true friend the Bible encourages."

So I pose the question.... are you "flip" or "flop" in your friendships?

Flip bends over backwards springing forward or anyway your friend needs you that is ethical and moral.

Flop lets others down. May even define someone using another friend for selfishness or lets the friendship die because they just don’t take the time to stay connected. The friendship may start out as a flip but may flopped because of circumstances beyond your control.

Or maybe that's the "flop drop" way of thinking....BEYOND OUR CONTROL. That's when we all need to give flop friends to God.
Or if you are a flop, flip back to being a better friend! Remember, everything is in God’s control. But you also have to have the desire to work at friendships. It’s often said, friendships are like gardens, you have to work to keep them growing!

Personally, I want to please God first. Previously, I wanted to please my friends, first. No matter how much energy I placed in my friendships, inadvertently... something always flopped. Sometimes that's just how it goes. By allowing God to be in the center of your life, He will teach you to walk in flip(s) flops.

Since I've placed God first in my life, I have flipped in the right direction as God has placed many new friends in my life, reunited others… and also replaced many friends whom I thought with all my heart were my true friends. But they weren’t.

I know I have flopped at friendships as some of my friends have flopped on our friendship. As God leads, I learn to flip forwards instead experiencing a flop backwards into my old ways of trying to be everything for everyone. That is a sure walk down a path of failure for yourself and others.

In reflecting who are my friends… true friends… some I have known since elementary school and remain still close. Others I have met within the ten years and knew instantly we were Christian soul(ED) mates.

I have also been blessed immensely with new friends in the last two years whom I honestly felt like we have known each other ALL of our lives...since the days of first learning to ride a tricycle! Those friends are more like family than some members of family has been at times.

As you wear flip flops this summer, try to remember each step you take might start off as a flip... or even an unexpected flop at some point down life's friendship journey. What matters the most is the direction in which you take your friendships which begins with being the best person possible through the fruits of the spirit.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit." Galatians 5:22-25 (NASB)

I encourage you to give everything to the Father. If you flop at being a good friend, pray about it! God will soon have you flipping back on your feet as He will place good "souls/soles" in your life!

+ + +



*Life Application Study Bible (NIV) Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. and Zondervan.