Monday, June 15, 2009

Prayer 101

“Back the basics” became my new mindset when I started rebuilding and refreshing what I learned about God, Jesus Christ but now with a much clearer understanding of the Holy Spirit.

Prayer quickly evolved as my passion for Jesus intensified with more knowledge of what was expected of me to become more Christ-like.


When I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior at age nine, I’m not quite sure I fully comprehended how to pray to God. When it came to prayer times with Him, my prayers were memorized.

“When I lay me down to sleep, etc. …” was the prayer I would repeat before… or usually just after I had crawled into bed. Then mother would ask me as she walked down the hall towards my room to tuck me in at night, “Have you said your prayers?” “No,” I would say under my breath as I would sigh, crawl out of bed with a great deal of reluctance, getting down on my knees with my hands folded and say my night time prayer. How it must have hurt God to know it was a habit more than a desire, but that wasn't always the case. I have been writing poetry since I was ten. So I think God knew I was kid who needed His understanding until I could mature, physically and spiritually.


“God is good, God is great, etc. …” was the quick reliable meal time prayer when I was called on at the dinner table, except once when I thanked God for candy cigarettes. Many, many years ago, they were a candy treat which seemed harmless. Some kids would use them to pretend to smoke. Not me. I was a “healthy sized” child and just chomped down on the sugary goodies as if they were just great tasting sticks of candy! No one in my family smoked, so I wasn’t trying to imitate any one. However, after my mention of thanking the Father for “candy cigarettes” at the dinner table, my mother who has an absolutely terrific sense of humor…wasn’t laughing! I didn’t mention them again.

So how does one pray? How do you learn to pray? I refer to the Bible for the answers as I prayerfully write this blog hoping to help or remind someone how we as Christians are to pray.

Jesus tells us in Matthew 6:5-7 "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth; they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.”

Prayer 101 for me was getting back the basics of how I was to communicate with our Father in Heaven. After 20 years in communications as a profession, you’d think I would score big on this subject. But I was FAR from knowing what I needed to say. Better yet, I was far from understanding what God wanted to hear in my prayers or communicate to Him.

God already knows what’s going on, so why did I have to say it?

Jesus gives is clear as I understand it... “Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.” Mark 11:24

To receive anything from God; to give God praise and thank Him; to ask forgiveness of sinful ways or wrong doings; to forgive others who do wrong to you; to pray for others who are in need of God’s help or healing; or whatever is going on, or has gone on in your world… try to be specific when you pray in asking and sharing what’s in your thoughts.

Create a prayer closet! This is a huge help for me when I pray. I can sense a true intimacy with the Father. Bathrooms with doors closed are good places. In making time to pray, even if it’s brief at some point during your day, peace and joy can be sensed as you learn to depend on God more and more.

Remember when praying… ASK, as Jesus stated. In my understanding, that means I need to be specific what I need to ask for. First, is forgiving me of my sins which I specifically list as things come to mind. I also thank God for hearing my prayers as I BELIEVE He will answer my prayer request.

Again…. Jesus said ASK then He said BELIEVE. He goes to say in the same Scripture that “it will be yours.” Jesus said… only if you believe and ask!

Believing requires knowing with all your heart and soul, with every fiber in your being… which leads to faith. Faith believes without seeing. So when you ask for comfort, peace, blessings, or whatever comes to mind…. God will answer your prayers!

Granted, it may not be in your timing but He will answer your prayer. How do I know? Because the Bible tells us so and I believe the infallible Word of God. But I also have experienced God answering my prayers!

He knows your needs and the desires of your heart. “Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.” Psalms 37:4


Ask Him in prayer... communicate to Hin your needs and desires to be fulfilled that will bring glory to the Father. We are on earth to do just that...give glory to God! It’s all about God! In praying to the Father, we grow closer to Him as we seek His direction for our paths.

Rejoice and praise God in your prayers. As it is written in I Thessalonians 5:16-18 “Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.”

Prayer is the connection… the communication… between you and your Heavenly Father. Prayer is so simple yet so powerful and seemingly so under used! It is a basic in our relationship with God, our Heavenly Father.

He is waiting on you as He is eager to hear from His child.

Have you made time for Him in prayer today?

+ + +




*NIV used in all Scripture references.