Monday, June 22, 2009

Super Beetle: Super God!

In 1978, I commuted my first year to college. The drive was about 45 minutes from our driveway to the parking lot. Not knowing what I wanted to be when I grew up, I definitely knew where I wanted to go to college… Auburn University!

At that point in life, times were difficult for my family as we suffered financial losses, but we still had so much to be thankful for.

But needless to say, my desire to attend college seemed hopeless under the circumstances… much less Auburn. However, by the grace of God, it was possible for me to attend a local “junior college” after graduating from high school.

One particular beautiful fall morning as I was headed to my classes for the day, I can recall exactly where I was on a two lane highway while driving my 1972 orange VW. At that moment, my Super Beetle would become my prayer chapel.

I turned off my eight track music… (that was high tech for our generation) and began praying out loud to God.

I didn’t ask for Him to make a way for me to go to Auburn. I didn’t ask for God to give us any financial help. Instead my prayer was “Dear God, please don’t let me lose myself before it’s too late.”

God heard my prayer, as He has answered it repeatedly pulling me closer to Him. I use to have a tendency to get off His path for my will versus His, but I don’t sense I will stray again as my passion and knowledge base is deeply embedded with Biblical truth.


Every day, I could reflect on the financial losses my family experienced when I was teenager. It was definitely a factor in not being able to attend Auburn, but there were many other repercussions I experienced as did my entire family.

Two years ago, I came to a fork in my life's path where I choose to take the route going away from traveling towrds any further deep seeded bitterness or resentment. It was the road back to God's path.

Things happen. Often times, no matter how severe the circumstances… what reflects our godly character is how we handle the loss or change.

As I now seek to be closer in knowing God, I ask Him to reveal the things I need to remember doing or saying that were out of line. Then I ask His forgiveness as I pray for blessings upon others who hurt me or I have hurt. God did... and does bring things to mind as I continue to ask for things to be brought to my attention so I can be a clean vessel for His work.

"I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” Matthew 18:18 (NIV)

No matter what my financial circumstances become in this world, today or in the future, I learned through a rude awakening to count my blessings versus counting my money. Focus on the Almighty God versus the almighty dollar. God will provide of our needs, financially or otherwise when we choose to give Him control.

The goal is not to allow yourself to get caught up in this world's value of the things you have, but rather the value of how much you mean to God and He means to you.

The rest of what happens as life transpires, whether it’s wonderful, downright humbling, or devastating… are experiences on a pathway God provides so can learn to lean on Him for direction. Everyone at some point will venture off on a winding side road, which takes us off the straight path to the narrow gate of Heaven. Isn't that the ultimate destination? Heaven?

“Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.” Matthew 7:13-14 (NASB)

Did you read that last part…”there are FEW who find it.”

Since my prayer in 1978, I have veered off God's path as every Christian experiences self directed ways. Unfortunately, that’s the sinful nature in which we all are challenged when making life choices.


“For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God…” Romans 3:23 (NASB)

With all my heart, mind and spirit, I sincerely thank my Father in Heaven for hearing my prayer that day... and every day. He not only answered my vivid reminder of a sincere prayer in 1978, but God blessed my family and me immensely throughout our lives in many ways.

If our family had not experienced a financial setback, or I had not experienced any hurt… I would never have been able to comprehend the unconditional love of God.


His education is far more important than a degree, although He did make it possible for me to graduate with a Bachelors of Science from an excellent accredited four year college, Jacksonville State University.

And now, I have my Master’s… teachings. But I believe my real education began with an earnest prayer while in an orange Super Beetle as the driving force was my Super God.


+++