Sunday, June 14, 2009

I See and I Saw

Nothing has ever uplifted my spirits with such a euphoric WOW of excitement as when I became aware of the Holy Spirit! My soul was absolutely overflowing with sheer joy and deep passion for Jesus Christ! I had never experienced anything like it. I could have easily been pegged as an “extremist” as I felt as if I had just been awakened from a “going-through-the-motions” slumber for the last decades! I could not read enough about the Word or learn from others who had experienced the contagious thrill of knowing the full Trinity. As a wordsmith, I still can not adequately describe the essence of learning the Trinity.

However, if you are imagining me as a “Jesus Saves” megaphone extremist … well, I wasn’t THAT extreme. You might say I was borderline “fanatical.” A Christian brother commented after I had explained my exciting newfound learning of the Holy Spirit, “Well, if you’re going to be a fanatic at least it’s about God!”

In a sense, that is so true! But I have also learned walking with a Christ-like attitude illustrates to others that Jesus Christ lives within you. “Therefore as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him…” Colossians 2:6 (NASB)

As the Holy Spirit guides you, it shows in your actions and how you present yourself to others as you shop (less than your best or friendly); how you drive (courteous or ready to ram the car who just pulled out in front of you); watch on TV (blood and guts or family oriented), what you read (gossip rag sheets or newsworthy information); your choice of clothing (decent versus skimpy); what you say (foul mouth or clean mouth)…. Everything reflects the “Christ” in you or the lack of your will to allow "Christ" to be seen within you. Everything.

I have learned to balance when I speak about God as I remember I am to set an example. It seems most people, even believers, will more than likely turn a deaf ear to what you have to say if you can’t talk about a multitude of other subjects and continue to reflect the “Christ” within you.

Here’s another perspective in trying to find my balance.

When I first stepped out on faith, I resigned from a terrific corporate job. Not all of my friends agreed with my decision. It’s understandable since I had 20 years of a wonderful communications career, finally climbing the ladder of success according to worldly standards. But I knew way deep down in my spirit and soul, God was calling me to “Follow Him.” I felt He wanted me to use the skills He gave me in communications, for His glory. I gladly obeyed. It was the hardest/best/painful/joyful experience I have ever encountered in my entire life!

Some of my friends understood my devotion to God and could “see” how much I changed for the good. Other friends were out of sorts as they “saw” my actions as just walking away from financial security. I was definitely experiencing a “see-saw” spectrum as my world seemed out of balance with my friends, who were a large part of my life.

I prayed to the Father asking… “What is it with my friends? It seems some agree. Others don’t. I feel as my life is like a see-saw with so many ups and downs.” God answered by way of the Holy Spirit as the thought was very clear: “If you take your see-saw, balance it, nail it to a board, then it’s called a cross.”

What a wonderful example! In finding my balance, I needed to stay focused on the cross which represents what Jesus Christ did for each of us as our Savior. “…and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.” Ephesians 5:2 (NASB)


When I find my balance, my day is so much better. Keeping my balance requires a Christ-like walk towards others, who are your neighbors… “And He answered, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND; AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’” Luke 10:27 (NASB)

When I earnestly read the Word of God with a heartfelt desire of love and not out of habit, (reflect back to Luke 10:27)… I learn so much more about how to cope, how to balance.

When I pray to the Father whether I’m troubled… “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30 (NASB)

Or pray with peacefulness… “The LORD lift up His countenance on you, And give you peace.” Numbers 6:26 (NASB). I know God is the only One who can teach me how to balance my see as I saw where I allowed things to toggle back and forth.

As I continue to struggle some days just like other believers, that’s when I am learning to depend on God more for His guidance. As I lean on God, He shows me how to balance. “Honest scales and balances are from the LORD; all the weights in the bag are of His making.” Proverbs 16:11 (NIV)

The times when I am more focused on Jesus Christ versus me… me… me… are the times my see-saw is closer to being balanced which reflects in my Christ-like walk towards others and towards God.


+ + +